New Listing: Spacious Home for Sale in SW Rochester, MNCheck out this stunning five bedroom/three and a half bathroom home in SW Rochester, MN. Built in 2014, this home features a large, open
Is It Cold Enough For You
If you live in Rochester, MN or anywhere in the upper Midwest, you have been asked that question at some point in your life, right? And when there is a -40 degree windchill like we had recently, is the person asking that question really waiting to hear an answer? Yes, it is cold enough for me, and yes, I want to be on a beach somewhere tropical right now with a cold beer in my hand! But, in the meantime, I'm content heading home to a nice warm house after a long day of work (as long as it doesn't cost me my kids' college tuition to keep it nice and warm....).
What can we do to heat our home and keep it warm without breaking the bank? I've done some searching through some energy-saving websites and here are some tips for us Northerners to help us get through these next few months and save some $'s.
1. Force the warm air down from the ceiling by reversing the direction of your ceiling fans.
2. Use a programmable thermostat that you can set to automatically lower the temperature while you are away and while you are sleeping.
3. Be sure the weatherstripping and caulking around doors, windows and vents isn't leaking.
4. Change the furnace filter at least monthly to keep it running more efficiently.
5. Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Humidified and moist air feels warmer and helps you feel more comfortable.
6. Invest in insulation. Any area that heat can escape is causing dollars to escape. Being sure to keep your home insulated can protect you from losing heat from your home.
7. Don't use exhaust fans unless necessary. They draw the warm air that is drawn toward the ceiling up and out of your home.
8. Use the sun to your advantage. Open curtains on those sunny days to bring heat into your home and close them at night to keep the heat in.
9. Bundle up! Dress warm and use a throw blanket when sitting around. Wearing a pair of warm socks and putting rugs on the floor will help you keep the thermostat a bit lower too.
And maybe, by using some of these ideas you can take those savings and find yourself on that tropical beach with a cold one in your hand! Stay warm!
Kyle is a licensed realtor and co-owner of the Realty Edge Team, brokered by eXp Realty, LLC, at 300 1st Ave NW Rochester, MN. He founded the Realty Edge Team in 2011 along with Dan Kingsley. At age 2....
Latest Blog Posts
February 2019 Rochester MN Real Estate Market ReportFor more information about the Rochester MN real estate market, please feel free to contact me at 507-218-1930 or justin@therealtyedge